Saturday, May 17, 2008

AZIZA BRAHIM REPPIN IN MUSIC FOR MY PEOPLE FROM THE WESTERN SAHARA!








My people from the Western Sahara please stand up:))

I don't know much about this part of the world, but I'm excited to discover and learn more and more about it...
I guess today's lesson will start w/the Aziza Brahim experience..as I'm writing I am also listening to her music..I like it, I'm bopping my head and enjoying the mix of Rock& Roll, Soul, "desert beats" & Latino influence because she's lived for a long time in Cuba and Spain (some of the lyrics are actually in spanish), Arabic and African rythm..

Her voice is at turn soft, beautifuly harsh, and sometimes it feels like a sharp cry ...maybe one of the reasons why is that her life wasn't easy, because of the Maroccan occupation of her country in the late 70's, her mum and dad just like countless Saharawi people were separated (I will write a post abt this Marocan occupation soon)...her father went on to get remarried and have children that Aziza never got a chance to meet...
She hopes that through her music , the world will open their eyes and their heart to her country..I know that I know want to find out more about the history of the Western Sahara..will share once I do...

Here's her site:
http://aziza-brahim.blogspot.com/
Please check her out, share this discovery people who knows someone around u may like her sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grv86pHu47I

Djaa my people from Western Sahara sont dedans aussi:)
Eyeee Wayeee:)