Thursday, January 07, 2010

TO AUNTY DEBORAH HOLLIMON....

I can't believe that I won't get to be hugged again by sweet aunty Deborah Hollimon .
Aunty Deborah is the lovely mother of more than a friend to me, my sister Kimberly Hollimon Hazley.
Back in college, when I was still getting used to the American culture and way of life, still didn't know my way around this american campus, Kimberly was there to help me.
This young African American woman stood out among the rest of the students by the way she held herself, by her strong sense of purpose and spirituality.

They say behind a great man there's a great woman, but I say behind a strong woman, there's an even greater mother. If it wasn't for her mother there would be no Kim. Aunty Deborah was just courageous and loving even when times were hard ..when I think of her, I think of her smiling face when she would see Sheeva & I, her daughter's dearest friends in college.

I'm thankful that she was there to witness 3 major events in Kim's life: her college graduation, her wedding and the birth of baby Jordan. On Kim's wedding she was there, beaming with pride , love and care for not only her daughter but Oye her son in law. I remenber when Kim was leaving for the reception how peaceful she looked, how happy she was for her daughter.
On Kim's graduation, as soon as she saw me she hugged me tight as if I was one of hers, it felt like she was saying are you ok, I'm here now child..

Despite the physical & emotional pain she was going through, despite those ups and downs that we human beings all have to go through, aunty remained as strong as she could be...
She did a great job not only raising Kim but her 4 other beautiful sistas:Tamiko, Rostine,Genea and Dawn. During her journey on this earth she was blessed with a great marriage to their late father, Alfonso Hollimon whom I wished I had the chance to meet.

Aunty was also busy being kissed and loved by her 8 grand children..so see she's done a whole lot on this life. We'll try not to be sad because I know if she could talk to us she would say I'm ok, it's such a blessing with the Lord..I can actullay see her smiling from heaven..so my sister Kim please don't cry..:)

This poem on her legacy guest book page spoke volumes to me and I wanted to share it with y'all:

To my dearest family, some things I'd like to say...
but first of all, to let you know, that I arrived okay
.
I'm writing this from heaven. Here I dwell with God above.
Here, there's no more tears of sadness; here is just eternal love.

Please do not be unhappy just because I'm out of sight.
Remember that I'm with you every morning, noon and night.
That day I had to leave you when my life on earth was through,
God picked me up and hugged me and He said, "I welcome you."

It's good to have you back again;
you were missed while you were gone.

As for your dearest family, they'll be here later on.
I need you here badly; you're part of my plan.
There's so much that we have to do, to help our mortal man.
God gave me a list of things, that he wished for me to do.
And foremost on the list, was to watch and care for you.
And when you lie in bed at night, the day's chores put to flight.
God and I are closest to you....in the middle of the night.


When you think of my life on earth,
and all those loving years
because you are only human,
they are bound to bring you tears.
But do not be afraid to cry;
it does relieve the pain.
Remember there would be no flowers,
unless there was some rain.

I wish that I could tell you all that God has planned.
But if I were to tell you, you wouldn't understand.

But one thing is for certain,
though my life on earth is o'er.


I'm closer to you now, than I ever was before.
There are many rocky roads ahead of you and many hills to climb;
but together we can do it by taking one day at a time.
It was always my philosophy and I'd like it for you too...
that as you give unto the world,
the world will give to you.


If you can help somebody who's in sorrow and pain,
then you can say to God at night......
"My day was not in vain."
And now I am contented....that my life has been worthwhile,
knowing as I passed along the way, I made somebody smile.

So if you meet somebody who is sad and feeling low,
just lend a hand to pick him up, as on your way you go.
When you're walking down the street, and you've got me on your mind;

I'm walking in your footsteps only half a step behind.


And when it's time for you to go.... from that body to be free, remember you're not going.....you're coming here to me.

Ruth Ann Mahaffey (author)

I love you aunty , I'll def' look over Kimmy for you:)
We all will...Until we see each other soon:)

Deborah Hollimon , October 28th 1956/ January 1rst 2010

Yaye

3 comments:

Anna Renee said...

Very beautiful and touching! It's such a blessing to be a blessing. Aunty Deborah seemed to be that for you, and I'm glad that she was there to reassure and take you as another daughter. God Bless

Unknown said...

Very sweet & loving of you Yaye. The poem is profound, powerful. Cherish life & cherish those that move us & motivate us to do & be better, each day.

Kim said...

Yaye,thank you for writing such a beautiful tribute page for my mom. She was a beautiful woman, a champion in her Faith in the Lord and the best mother. Loyal,loving, always forgiving and the best friend. As the days and weeks pass, the inconsolable sadness bears down heavy but I know God is with me and so is mom. At times she feels so far and other times, closer than my next breath.For Christians, death is the sweetest pain-we know that our loved one is with the Lord and that is what we live for- to know God even as we are known. But it is still very sad because I love her. So it is truly bittersweet. Reading your page about mom has brought me tears of joy. Thank you for always being there and being more than a friend, being my sister. You are beautiful in every way. Continue to tell the stories of beautiful, breathtaking AFRICA! You are inspiring a generation...I love you...Kim